I recently started collecting vinyl records. I built a pair of Dayton Audio BR-1 speakers (from Parts Express, which I plan on posting about in more detail when I have the time) and bought a “beginners” turntable – an Audio-Technica AT-LP60.
For a few weeks, I used a Sony receiver that my roommate had sitting around.
But I knew I wanted something older. I did a bit of research, and lots of people seemed to think that some of the vintage Marantz receivers had great sound, if you could find one at an affordable price. So I began to scour Craigslist.
I found someone selling a Marantz 2215B for $125, so I made arrangements to go check it out and make sure it was in decent shape.
After I confirmed that it wasn’t full of rust, the man asked me if I was interested in records. He brought out two boxes full of old LPs.
I looked through for about 5 seconds and saw The Talking Heads, David Bowie, and some Stones records. I could barely contain myself! I paid $150 total for the receiver, two boxes of records (roughly 125 of ‘em), and another turntable – a BSR 2260 BX, which he clearly just wanted to get rid of.
I went through all of the records and organized them into the two boxes. The first box was all artists/albums that I am already familiar with. I’ve added all of those albums to discogs, if you’d like to take a look.
Anyway, I’m super stoked about all of my new records. My collection just exploded! There’s so many good albums in here – and a whole lot of albums that I’ve never heard before by artists that I already know I like. Some of the albums I’m most excited about (in no particular order):
- Old & In The Way – Old & In The Way
- Eric Clapton – The History Of Eric Clapton
- Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Hard Promises
- Kiss – Destroyer
- Chicago Transit Authority* – Chicago Transit Authority
- Various – Woodstock – Music From The Original Soundtrack And More
- Who, The – Live At Leeds
- Doors, The – Waiting For The Sun
- Michael Jackson – Thriller
- David Bowie – ChangesOneBowie
- Neil Young – Harvest
- Neil Young – After The Gold Rush
- Talking Heads – More Songs About Buildings And Food
- Stevie Wonder – Fulfillingness’ First Finale
- Prince And The Revolution – Purple Rain
There’s also a bunch of stuff in “box 2″ that I’ve never heard of, so perhaps I’ll dig into there at some point.
Oh yeah, and the Marantz receiver…
She needs some work, but that’s a good looking piece of audio equipment.